October 20th, 2021
Many patients ask Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim and our team about the differences between Damon Smile braces and regular braces. Today we thought we'd share some information on Damon Smile.
A lot of our patients, especially adults, come to Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim thinking traditional braces are the only answer to straight teeth. Here at Wenger Orthodontics, we offer Damon Smile, a revolutionary new braces system that can give you better results in less time!
Am I right for Damon Smile?
Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim will evaluate your eligibility for Damon Smile, as it can be used for children and adults alike!
What makes Damon Smile braces better?
Probably the biggest advantage to Damon braces versus traditional brackets is the amount of time and effort involved. Treatment with Damon Smile can often cut months off of the total treatment time and fewer visits to our office are necessary to make adjustments.
If you have any questions about Damon Smile or your treatment here at Wenger Orthodontics, please post a comment here or give us a call!
October 13th, 2021
The advancement of orthodontic procedures has a come a long way. Today, there is always a way to meet each individual's personal smile needs in a relaxing, stress-free, and pain-free way. In-Ovation technology is no different. With its free-sliding system, many patients report positive experiences. Let's take a look at how the In-Ovation treatment process takes place.
What You'll Experience When You Choose In-Ovation
In-Ovation helps your teeth shift gently over time without added pressure. The process has been designed for you to spend less time in our Aurora office at long appointments having braces checkups, while still achieving a beautiful smile.
Our patients share that there are many advantages to selecting In-Ovation braces. Your visit with us will be shorter, and the overall time from when you begin the treatment process to finishing with a new smile is much shorter than traditional braces. Patients also tell us that far less irritation occurs when selecting these braces.
In-Ovation braces are referred to as self-ligating braces. We find that the free-slide technology that makes them unique also results with improved facial proportion and appearance. Another noteworthy characteristic is the small size of these braces. This means that patients can perform efficient teeth cleaning, leading to less plaque buildup.
Many of our patients are surprised to hear that braces are not simply for children. We assure our patients that there is no better time than now to achieve your best dental health. Because the In-Ovation system requires far less time and maintenance from start to finish, they are very ideal for busy adults. At your visit, Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim will discuss which In-Ovation style best reflects your needs depending on how much overall movement will be necessary to achieve long-term results.
Trying to decide if the In-Ovation dental procedure is right for you? Our highly trained team invites you to call us for an appointment. We look forward to seeing you at a visit soon.
October 6th, 2021
If this is your child’s first holiday season with braces, here are some tips on how to help children get the most enjoyment from these celebrations without compromising their braces or leaving them feeling left out of the festivities.
When you think dental health, “Halloween” is not usually the first thing that comes to mind. Halloween can be tricky, but with some planning and intervention, you can make sure your child doesn’t miss out on the treats that make the holiday a favorite.
Braces present other challenges besides dealing with the scary amount of sugar in every trick-or-treat bag. Certain treats can be a challenge to clean from braces, and can even cause broken brackets and wires. How to avoid these frightful results?
- Go through your child’s treat bag when you get home after neighborhood trick-or-treating. Anything which can damage braces, such as regular gum, candy with nuts or caramel, or hard or chewy candies should be discarded. Perhaps you and your child can choose a selection of soft candy such as plain chocolate and peanut butter cups to trade for those tricky treats. Your child’s favorite soft fruits, cupcakes, and cookies could also be safe substitutes.
- Party time? Candy apples, bowls of candy corn, and popcorn balls are favorite treats at Halloween parties, but very bad for braces. Help your child recognize what should be avoided before attending, and suggest safe options like soft cupcakes.
- Finally, even safe treats will leave more sugar than normal in your child’s mouth and therefore more potential for plaque build-up. Brush and floss more often, if needed, and rinse regularly with water.
Talk candy guidelines over in advance with your child. If you’d like, Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim can recommend safe alternatives. With your help, Halloween won’t be a fearsome experience for you or your trick-or-treater.
Now, this is a holiday to be thankful for! Almost all of your traditional favorites are perfect for family members with braces.
- Appetizers: Offer soft food options such as silky cheeses and deviled eggs instead of crunchy vegetables, chips, and nuts.
- Dinner: Turkey is a required dish on many tables, and no need to miss out! Just make sure pieces are bite-size and off the bone. Creamy mashed potatoes and gravy and jellied cranberry sauce are also braces-friendly traditions. Any cooked vegetable should be fine, but do cut the corn from the cob first. Dressing is a great side dish if your child avoids any crunchy tops and edges, as are soft, nut-free rolls and muffins.
- Dessert: Pumpkin pie, cheesecake, and apple pie with ice cream are all safe (and delicious) choices. Leave the pecan pie, caramel sauce, and anything nutty or chewy off your child’s menu. And remember to brush and floss carefully after the feast!
If you are concerned that following the usual food guidelines might be a little more difficult during this time of year, talk to us. Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim and our team are happy to suggest ways to make your child’s first holidays with braces memorable for all the right reasons. The last thing you’ll want is an emergency visit to our Aurora office!
September 29th, 2021
Most of us aren’t born with a red carpet smile. And if you’ve thought about straightening your teeth but are apprehensive about doing so with traditional orthodontic treatment, Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim and our team at Wenger Orthodontics want you to know there is another option – Invisalign®!
Invisalign is an ideal solution for most adults looking for a less noticeable way to achieve a better smile. In fact, Invisalign has increasingly become a very popular choice for adults looking for a more comfortable, convenient and cosmetically-appealing treatment for straightening their teeth.
Our team at Wenger Orthodontics is proud to offer Invisalign, which uses a series of invisible, removable and comfortable aligners that no one can tell you’re wearing, which allows you to smile more during treatment, as well as after. Not only are the aligners invisible, they are also removable, so you can eat and drink what you want; brushing and flossing is easier with Invisalign than with traditional braces.
Invisalign’s aligners are also comfortable, with no metal to cause mouth abrasions during your treatment. And no metal and wires usually means you spend less time at our office getting adjustments. Invisalign also allows you to view your own virtual treatment plan when you start, so you can see how your straight teeth will look when your treatment is complete!
A consultation with Dr. Reid Wenger and Dr. Harry Shim can determine if Invisalign is right for you. We encourage you to give us a call at our friendly Aurora office if you’re interested in learning more about Invisalign or if you are ready to visit us for an initial consultation! We look forward to seeing you!